M8 and M12 Connectors in New Design—for Simplified Installation and Maintenance
Robust components, high flexibility and international standardization: M8 and M12 connectors are the standard in factory automation. In this blog article, you will learn more about the new design of M8 and M12 connectors from Pepperl+Fuchs. Due to numerous technical optimizations, these connectors provide you with highly robust and durable connection technology that is easy and efficient to handle—from installation to maintenance.
Technical Enhancements for Simplified Installation
The M8 and M12 connectors in the new design enable particularly fast and simple installation in the field. This is made possible by several technical enhancements:
- In addition to the longitudinal knurling, the connectors are equipped with hex flats. This allows them to be installed both by hand and with an open-end wrench.
- The built-in fixed stop prevents overtightening during installation, so that the O-ring is reliably protected. The extended torque range (M8: 0.2…0.8 Nm; M12: 0.4…0.9 Nm) increases flexibility during installation.
- A visually and haptically easily recognizable marking on the cable plug and socket enables quick and easy installation—without trial and error.
A wide range of technical enhancements—for simplified installation and maintenance
Maximum Service Life Due to Rugged Design
Once the M8 and M12 connectors are in use, they impress with their particularly rugged design and increased resistance to vibrations and dirt. Various technical features are responsible for this:
- Double crimp connections and an optimized vibration protection make the connectors highly resistant to vibrations.
- Compared to the market standard, the creepage distance between the pins has been doubled. This significantly increases tolerance to dirt and moisture and minimizes the risk of short circuits—especially in environments with high humidity or dust in the air.
- In addition to the zinc die-cast glands, V4A stainless steel glands are available to enable reliable connections even in industrial applications with aggressive process media.
- The angled versions of the connectors feature a 100° angle instead of a 90° angle. This robust design increases the reliability of the connected cable by reducing the stress on the cable conductors. Additionally, the wider angle simplifies access to the gland, even in hard-to-reach places.